Texas Guinan: Retiring
Edith Head designed many memorable gowns - - eye candy for the silver screen. An announcement from Hollywood on 28 November 1960 heralded the retirement of a "collection of the best known clothes in the world . . . now heading for its final public appearance." This "million dollar collection" included gowns created for TEXAS GUINAN and her friend Mae West.
• • "I'm only managing to hold them together with emergency sewing now," said Edith Head (in mid-November 1960). A diminutive but dynamic brunette who is twice as busy as most Hollywood producers, Head added, "This will be about their last time out."
• • A score of Paramount Pictures costumes have been sentimentally preserved because they contributed to movie history.
• • These beauties included extravagant confections for TEXAS GUINAN, Mae West's emerald-green, jewel-embroidered come-up-and-see-me-sometime gown from "She Done Him Wrong," Clara Bow's outfits, and Ginger Rigers' mink dress from "Lady in the Dark" . . .
• • To have seen these dresses in full color during their heyday - - after viewing them in a black and white film - - must have been a startling contrast.
• • Photo: Texas Guinan • • 1931 • •
Labels: Texas Guinan