Texas G: Onstage Outlaw
Onstage Outlaw Revisits New York City This Summer
Texas Guinan Stars in a Greenwich Village Exhibition and Walking Tour.
New York, NY (PRWEB) April 19, 2005 -- Though TEXAS GUINAN [1884-1933] is remembered as a speakeasy hostess, in fact, she starred in over two dozen films and had leading roles in musicals on Broadway. [Madonna bought the rights to film Guinan's life story.] Texas Guinan's life and career will get a close-up when an exhibition opens in Greenwich Village: "Onstage Outlaws: Texas Guinan and Mae West during the Lawless Decade." Rare personal photographs, vintage illustrations, and theatrical memorabilia will be on view this summer across the street from the former Jefferson Market Court House where Texas Guinan and Mae West both spent a lot of time.
• • This exhibition will be open to the public in Greenwich Village from August 17th-31st, 2006 at Village Restaurant [62 West 9th Street]. There is NO admission charge to view the installation. These vintage views of the two frequently-arrested and jailed friends will emphasize the transgressive side of these two actresses who often partnered with gangsters and went to extremes.
• • In honor of MAE WEST’s August 17th birthday, this historic installation will have its official press opening at a gala 1920s-theme cocktail party for the NEWS MEDIA on that Thursday evening.
• • On Sunday August 20th, 2006 there will be a TEXAS GUINAN & MAE WEST BRUNCH at Village Restaurant [62 West 9th Street] preceded by a guided tour focused on Texas Guinan's former home and her other haunts. Tour with brunch - - and unlimited gin cocktails - - will cost $25. per person. The exhibition, however, is open to all without charge.
• • A sampling of these images is online:
* * * http://maewest.blogspot.com/ and
* * * http://texasguinan.blogspot.com/.
• • Sponsorship and media inquiries are welcome.
• • COURTING MAE WEST, LLC, based in Manhattan, is an off-Broadway producing outfit whose mission is to increase visibility and opportunity for women and women-driven stories in the theatre.
• • COURTING MAE WEST, LLC
• • Sponsorship Coordinator:
• • Conrad Bradford
• • 917-403-0890
• • photo: Texas Guinan •