Born on 12 January 1884 in Waco, Mary Louise Cecilia "Texas" Guinan played a gun-slinger and rode bareback in silent films, took New York by storm in 1906, and earned a salary of $700,000 as a speakeasy hostess. Here are highlights from a life led at full speed until 5 November 1933. Meet TEXAS GUINAN!

Monday, October 31, 2005

Dallas Morning News: 6 November 1933


Texas Guinan, the 49-year-old speakeasy hostess and entertainer, had confided to a reporter:
I like noise, rhinestone heels, customers, plenty of attention, and red velvet bathing suits. I smoke like a 5-alarm fire. I eat an aspirin every night before I go to bed. I call every man I don't know "Fred" and they love it. I have six uncles. I sleep on my right side. I like carrots. I eat a dozen oranges every day and I once took off 35 lbs in two weeks. I guess that settles my personality. . . .
- Dallas Morning News * * 6 November 1933 -
Note: Prohibition was repealed one month after Guinan’s death.
Source: http://TexasGuinan.blogspot.com/atom.xml